Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Screeeeeeee…bing…bing…screeeeeeeee…bip…screeeeeeeee

Just like the olden days – I’m online with dial-up. I remember those funny sounds when my computer used to connect to the internet by telephone.

Thanks to my smart son and a quick response by my favorite AT&T tech guy, Francis, I have a connection to the world again. My son, Davis, told me he was sure my computer had a built-in modem and could use the phone line. I called Francis and he said he would come to my house yesterday afternoon at the end of his work day to check it out. He did.
It works very, very slowly but at least I can read my e-mail. The speed is 38.6 Kbps. I was able to order a prescription refill online. There is no point trying to visit other sites with heavy graphics. It takes too long. I’ll miss visiting my favorite blogs, reading the news, and looking things up. I hope I will get the new DSL hookup by early next week.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Good to see you back, even if it is slowly. That is a super slow dial up speed, not that any dial up is fast. Sometimes the old ways get us what we want. I have several friends that only have dial up as there is nothing else available where they live - must be frustrating.

Happy Thanksgiving.

5:06 PM  
Blogger sophie said...

I have my own AT&T customer service horror stories and am SO sympathetic.

Dare I ask if internet service from the cable company is an option for you? (Back when I lived in Sonoma county, it wasn't.)

5:44 PM  
Blogger black bear cabin said...

welcome back...in slow motion! Hopefully you can get up to "speed" soon :) hugs
and happy turkey day!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Del said...

Glad you are connected again. I know you are giving thanks for Francis and his kind deed. Enjoy your special delivery Thanksgiving dinner. I'm sending good thoughts. Love, Del

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Mia Wells said...

Great reading yoour blog post

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home