Sunday, February 20, 2011

My week

Because I didn’t finish my hearts project by February 14, I felt I couldn’t post on the blog. This is supposed to be mainly about quilting, after all. However I do have some miscellaneous stuff to post about, so here goes:

San Diego

We stayed at the San Diego Marriott in Mission Valley last weekend. I loved the carpet in the bright hallways.
And my bed was so comfortable.

For fiber interest, there was a charming photo in the room.

There was a yoga class overlooking the ocean. See the black blob thing on the far right side of the photo?

That was the instructor’s pig. I guess he brings him along to show his students how lithe and limber one can become by learning yoga.

Wardrobe failure

I planned a simple, coordinated wardrobe for the weekend in San Diego. Everything mix and match in black and white so I’d be prepared for any situation. I did some laundry. I chose black slacks and different tops and shoes, and jeans for drive. I laid everything out on my bed and was packed and ready to go early Friday morning.
I hung up my clothes in the hotel closet when we arrived Friday evening. When I got dressed Saturday morning for the funeral, I pulled back the curtains for a final check on my appearance. Oh no. I was wearing a black top, black shoes and hose, and blue slacks!

I changed to a white top and an overshirt with a tiny touch of blue in the front placket. I kept moving all day so no one would notice.

Scenic drive
Here is what I saw on the 940 mile trip:
We stopped at Harris Ranch on the way home. It is a very nice place with good food. I had French Fried sweet potatoes for the first time, along with my French Dip beef sandwich. Delicious.

Home again in the kitchen

I guess I’m not much of a gad about. I am so happy to be home. I baked some chocolate cookies to celebrate.

My mother made these all the time. They are rich in chocolate taste. Her recipe called for “Spry” but I’ve modified it by adding a little butter and using Crisco.

Chocolate wafers

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

2 Tablespoons butter and 6 Tablespoons Crisco – Total ½ cup of shortening
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
3 ounces Baker’s chocolate (unsweetened) melted
¾ cup flour

Combine shortening, salt, and vanilla. Add sugar and cream well. Add beaten eggs and mix thoroughly. Add melted chocolate and blend. Add flour and mix well.
I use baking parchment on the cookie sheets (or you can grease the sheets). Drop dough from the tip of a teaspoon and let it stand for a while. Flatten the cookies by stamping them with a glass bottom covered with a damp cloth.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. (They take exactly14 minutes in my oven.) This recipe makes about 30 cookies.

* * * * * *

Also in the kitchen – my two stove burners are acting peculiar. The back burner had little extra spurts of gas coming out under the sealed part. This sometimes made a pop noise and the burner went out. I carefully cleaned the circle of orifices and it seemed to work better. When I used the back burner I had to keep my eye on it and never leave the kitchen. This week the front burner started developing a little spurt of its own. This was a bit scary. I think the pan has rusted. I decided to order a whole new setup.

When I called Jenn-Air I learned that I could buy just the pan that goes under the sealed burners for only $139 (including tax and shipping). I could not figure out how the pan could be separated from the sealed burners. I tried to get them apart, but they have been together so long it seems impossible.
I decided to get the whole module for $329. I figured that if I only bought the pan I’d have to call an appliance repair person to come and take the old burner apart and put in the pan. That would cost at least $150. I’m pretty sure I can slip the whole module into the stove top myself. I’ve seen how it attaches underneath and slips in.
I hope I am right.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Your trip photos are great - it is nice to see where you've been and what you did. I bet no one noticed the black/blue combo. Seems in most light the colors are hard to differentiate anyway.

Good luck with the new burner, better to be safe. Happy cooking - the cookies look fabulous - I'll have to try them.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Del said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:49 AM  
Blogger Del said...

Isn't it great that we are all so different? You take a pass on traveling and I can hardly wait to get on the road. I enjoyed your observations of your trip - especially the "road" pictures - great way to show the sameness of driving the I-5. But I still love it! I'll try your mother's cookies, they look delicious. Then I suppose I'll have to go down to SD for some yoga lessons. Love, Del

12:52 AM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

My grandma had Spry recipes, too.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Wilma Lee said...

I love to travel too. I guess if you are available to go when you want, the desire fades, but if you can't go because you take care of an elderly MIL, you want to go that much more, lol. We're planning a trip to Riverside California this summer to visit my son. I can't wait!!!

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home