Thursday, December 15, 2011

Packages arriving

Brown cardboard boxes are sitting by my little Christmas tree. However, these boxes are not presents. They will be opened before the 25th of December. Actually, technicians are going to rip open the cartons. The long box is the new number pad for my Jenn-Air range and the Sears’ guy will use it to fix my oven tomorrow. The flat box is a modem and other stuff for a new internet connection.

If this is blog post goes up on December 15th, that will mean the AT&T technician was here and hooked up my computer to U-verse. I’ve been without an internet connection for several days. I used my computer early Tuesday morning to get my e-mail, check for pattern orders, check my bank statement, and visit a few of my favorite blogs. When I went to get online again after 8:00 am, the connection was gone. I called AT&T and went through the endless circle about checking the connections, re-booting my modem, and re-booting my computer. I did this three times. Nothing happened.
I was finally directed to a technical person and he had me do it for the 4th time. He said, “It appears that your DSL is not working.”

“Duh,” I said. “Please reconnect it.”

“I am sorry, ma’am I cannot do that,” he said.

“Why was it disconnected?” I asked (I knew my bill was paid up to date).

He had no idea.

I signed up for U-verse internet-only service because it is less expensive than my current DSL rate. The company assured me it would be a smooth transition. They would continue the DSL until Thursday, December 15 and then switch it to U-verse at 8:00 pm. The new modem and all the various gizmos were to be installed at that time.

It felt like deja vu all over again.

In November and December of 2010 I went though a similar irritating scenario. See these links: here and here.

I do hope I will be going online and baking a new loaf of bread tomorrow.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Collagemama said...

What a technological pain in the old petootie! You have my sympathy.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

Well, here you are so I guess it worked!!

10:56 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

Glad you are back. The trunk in your photo is wonderful! Must be a family heirloom.

11:36 PM  
Blogger BrendaLou said...

so glad you are among us now!

12:10 AM  
Blogger Meggie said...

Hope your connections all get sorted out!! And yes, that is a lovely trunk.

12:15 AM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Hurray for the technicians - and glad you are back. Sometimes technicians bring gifts too LOL

I'm off to bake some Stollen - so maybe we will be baking "together".

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your comment regarding u-verse sounded just like my experience having u-verse installed. After it was installed, all three of my phones went out. At&t came out and attempted to isolate the problem and found out that it probably was my alert system that I use for my protection, the one where you wear the necklace around your neck and press it if you need it. I had to call the alert system company and would you believe the problem was that my old alert unit was not compatible with u-verse and they had to send me a new unit. The At&t tech was still in his truck and I went out to tell him. He thanked me and said it would be helpful if he came upon this problem again. You would think that At&t would alert their techs about this problem. Anyway, I have my new unit and my phones are all ok now. Hope this is helpful to someone else.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home