Monday, January 23, 2012

Raindrops falling on my face

It’s around 4:00 in the morning. I am awake. I awoke because I felt a drip on my face. I was puzzled. I felt another drop. I touched my pillow and it was damp. What the??? I got out of bed and turned on the light and saw water standing on my bedside cupboard. Oh.
 There is a stream of water pouring through the ceiling.
 I grabbed towels and spread them around on the cupboard, on my bed, on the floor. I put a dishpan on the cupboard. It is filling up fast.
I’m going to be up the rest of the night emptying the pan. It fills up about an inch every 10 minutes. As long as I’m up I might as well blog.
I hired some fellows last week to clean out the gutters and weather-strip the doors. I thought I was prepared for this storm. Darn. I’ll have to wait until 8:00 a.m. to call them and probably call a roofer.

Update 10:40 a.m.
The leak has stopped! My old friend, Tom Knorr, came to the house right after I called him this morning. He climbed up to the roof through a skylight. He found standing water (see my post from 2009 here). He took apart the drain coverings and the water rushed out the drain pipes. It was a waterfall. Within a half hour the drip in my bedroom stopped.

Tom and I used to work together at the island levee district. I am sure glad he was willing to come and help me out. There is more work to be done up on the roof, so he will come back and figure things out when it’s dry. Right now I have lots of towels in the dryer.

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Sew Create It - Jane said...

Your posting just proves what an upbeat lady you must be. Who else thinks in a time like this...oh I know I'll blog about it! LOL Turning lemons into lemonade!

Great pictures...I can feel the wet from here :o) Get dry soon!

5:29 AM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What an awful way to wake up - seems your house is going through some kind of nervous breakdown - that is what we call it when everything seems to go at once - hope this is easily fixable - and that the rain stops. And happy napping in the afternoon.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

Oh, dang! Leaks have the audacity of showing up when it is pouring rain!! Hope you get repaired, soon.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Jackie said...

What a rude awakening! Sorry...(

8:57 AM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

I like the photo of Tom. What a great help he was!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Not good, not good at all!

Well at least you have great friends that are willing to help..........and that says a lot about the character of someone. Your friends and their willingness to help you out is a reflection of you and the way you treat others :)

Thanks for the quilt pattern, I can't wait to get it! You can add me to your list of Canadian shoppers now too :)

Take care and stay dry!

Sherri

6:10 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

Phooey! I hate this kind of stuff. Hope your friend Tom can fix it right.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Del said...

Whoa! I thought I had a bad leak! But it was just in the pipes from garage to house. Good luck with repairs and drying out!

1:39 AM  
Blogger Meggie said...

Not a good way to wake up! Hope all is well again.

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Dwane Zelinsky said...

I have to commend how your blogging while there's a leak on your home! Well, it's great that Tom came soon to have your roof fixed. He's a savior. That's what friends are for. :)

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Darryl Iorio said...

Thank goodness for Tom! He is truly a lifesaver! Well, I can only imagine your surprise when you saw that “waterfall” on your bedroom and the hassles of cleaning up the mess. But you can prevent these problems from happening in the future by regularly repairing and replacing broken pipes, along with the roof repairs. This will ensure that your piping system is in good condition, and you can immediately fix broken pipes to avoid leaking and other pipe problems.

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Mallory Dates said...

Yikes! What an inconvenience! It’s great that you know someone who is willing to help you anytime. The leaks may have stopped, but it is still best to check the rest of the roof. There might be other damage that might cause another leaking if not detected earlier on.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Darryl has a point. In addition, in preventing worse damage in your water system, checking up on your pipeworks , at least, twice a month, is recommended. That way, you’d be able to keep track of your plumbing’s condition, and be able to perform the necessary repairs should it need any. After all, prevention is the best cure.

Carmella Vancil

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Althea Tumlin said...

Whoa, that was quite a leak!!! Good thing Mr. Tom immediately came over to put a temporary solution to it. I’m hoping nothing like this happens again because it’s just so stressful to deal with.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Jason Smith said...

It might be an expensive service but an emergency problem can be a great help in situations such as this.

residential and commercial plumbing services

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home