Sunday, April 05, 2009

Gramineous

Gramineous:
Pronunciation – gruh-MIN-ee-uhs
Meaning – (adjective) Of or relating to grass.
Etymology – From Latin gramineus, from gramen (grass).

I’ve been watching the grass grow. That’s about it for the past week. I’ve been so bored and lazy.

Our lawn just grows. No chemical fertilizers, no watering, nothing. Every two weeks the lawnmower guys arrive and run around with their machines for 15 minutes. Pretty simple. The grass is Bermuda grass and it grows all over the California Delta with no help from anyone. It can be a pesky weed with its long stolens and invasive habits. Back when we had flower beds I fought it constantly. When the sewer trench was dug across the yard we could see that the grass roots went down in the ground at least six feet.

The word Gramineous was a “word of the day” last week from Wordsmith.org. http://wordsmith.org/awad/subscribe.html I really enjoy getting a delicious word every day in my e-mail. Try it

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Del said...

I am also a Wordsmith reader - what a great service. Some of the words are beyond me and I can't imagine I would ever use them, but I still enjoy reading. And, who knows, gramineous might be the perfect word some day in the future. Are you walking? Love, Del

12:47 PM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

Wow. Six feet?!

Thank you for the new word.

1:24 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Great word!!! I remember Bermuda Grass so well - lovely for making green grass - bad for flower beds. We don't have that up here - our lawn is over half moss and the rest some slender grass - maybe it is actual lawn grass. :-)

6:49 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I love words, & new ones are always welcome!

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home