Monday, July 13, 2009

Clean living

We are all cleaned up here at home (at least for today). The cleaning ladies came this morning and buzzed around the house. We went out for a walk while they were here. Our house is too small to contain five busy people at one time.

The ladies bring all their own equipment and supplies. They wear rubber gloves and big aprons. Their activity motivated me to make a yellow rubber glove and sponge block today.

The 4-inch paper pieced block is one I’ve had on my pattern site for a long time. It is called Heart in Hand and it is free to print out. I modified the block today by extending the bottom of the hand straight down to make it look like a glove. I just drew lines on the block with a Pigma fabric pen instead of making separate fingers as shown in the original pattern. The sponge will be sewn on the block when the whole quilt is quilted; it is temporarily tacked on right now. It should be washable.

You can get the basic pattern foundations by clicking on the small diagram below. It will take you to the free pattern which you can print out.
Our friend Lilia started her housekeeping business way back in the 1980s. She and her ladies have been coming to our house, on and off, for 24 years.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger sophie said...

I thought that hand looked familiar. I've made your heart in hand block ;-)

Until I read the description I was really impressed with the incredible pink sponge fabric you had found, too, tee hee.

4:11 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Cute block - lovely that ladies come to clean your house. I have had a housekeeper from time to time - I am thinking it is time for another one - wish I had a friend to call who had a business - I don't enjoy interviewing housekeepers. Guess I'm too picky for some - but I want my house as clean as if I did it myself - that's all. LOL

7:17 AM  
Blogger Meggie said...

That block brought a big smile to my face! I love it.

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home