Friday, July 10, 2009

Complementary colors

My walk to the Bethel Island Bridge construction site this morning inspired the block for today. There was a lot of activity going on. A big crane is set up next to the existing bridge. Traffic was blocked while they moved another giant piece of equipment over the bridge.
If I am going to hang around this busy place, I think I’d better dress for the occasion. I’ve ordered an orange T-shirt from the C.C. Myers Company Store. All the workers wear orange safety vests. There are lots of orange cones set here and there to direct traffic.
When I searched the web for information about “Safety Orange” I learned that the color was chosen because bright orange stands out against blue skies. Wikipedia says: “Safety orange is used to set objects apart from their surroundings, particularly in complementary contrast to the azure color of the sky (azure is the complementary color of orange, and therefore there is a very strong contrast between the two colors).”
I found a nice piece of orange batik while shopping in my stash for the block.
If you want to paper piece a 4-inch safety cone block, click on the small diagram below and you will find foundations to print out and put together.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Another clever block - you are going to have a great memory quilt. Great idea to buy an orange t-shirt!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

Looks like you are over your quilter's block. Love the complementary cones.

11:00 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

That block is so much fun! I love the idea that you are designing from your daily encounters.

1:57 AM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

You are so clever. Can't wait to see where this is all headed.

11:04 AM  
Blogger sophie said...

Who knew that those orange construction cones (and orange construction trucks and vests and everything) were orange for a good reason? Brava to you for having the curiosity to find out why. I love the construction cone block.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home