Sunday, July 05, 2009

Quilt Block

I’ve been suffering from “quilt block” so I decided to do something very simple to get past it.


We picked some cherry tomatoes today from our small ziggurat garden. I made a small quilt block to commemorate our first harvest. It’s a very simple 4-inch paper foundation pieced block. Click the small diagram below and it will take you to a full size paper foundation to print out for yourself.
Yesterday, of course, was the 4th of July. I made a five pointed star block to commemorate this year’s 4th.
I found the pattern on Quilter’s Cache – Marcia Hohn’s free pattern site. Her five point star was an 8-inch block so I printed it out at 50-percent and added a line around the foundations for full ¼-inch seam allowances. Click the bold text for Marcia’s Five Pointed Star pattern.
If I made one 4-inch block a day for 365 days, by the end of a year I’d have enough blocks to make a small quilt. I said IF. It might be fun to try.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Nice block -nice tomatoes.

It might be fun to try to make a block a day - not sure I'd keep at it - but I'll certainly be cheering you on.

8:16 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I need a kick start! I sat & thought about it today... it was soo cold here, I was frozen to the spot!

1:47 AM  
Blogger sophie said...

Some friends from my small group in Lansing, Michigan actually did make block-a-day quilts, which they called "journal quilts." In some cases, they used novelty fabrics to represent the day. I also needed to kick start my quilting and went to the Dallas Quilt Guild last week and helped make paper pieced blocks for some kid quilts for charity--it was a "make it but don't take it" night . . . but I did "take" home some extra background fabric to make more blocks for my table's effort. I also "took" some photos and will have to blog about it soon.

I love your garden, the block that commemorates the harvest and your little star . . . as for a block-a-day, I have tons of confidence in your ability to make that happen!

5:58 AM  
Blogger Miri said...

A Block-a-day sounds like a project! You're off to a good start...love the harvest commerative block!

Hope you had a great 4th of July!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

Well the first blocks look good! But I won't hold you to it, just in case...

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home