Sunday, December 13, 2009

Patchwork tree ornaments

These two little patchwork ornaments are for two of our neighbors with dogs. Neighbor Mary has a rescued Cocker Spaniel named Sam. Neighbor “S” has a Chow dog.

You might be inspired to make some little tree ornaments featuring a friend’s pet or hobby. If you have some novelty fabric you can use a small piece for the center triangle. I had fabric with lots of dogs on it.

The patchwork trees would make good gift tags if you make the center triangle white and use Pigma Micron pens to write the names. (My daughter-in-law gave me some cute fabric gift tags which inspired me.)

You can click on the small graphic (below) for a full size paper piecing foundation to print out for your own personal use. There is a template for the backing fabric, too.

Construct your tree ornament on its foundation. Remove the foundation paper. Make a fabric backing for the ornament in a contrasting fabric. Fold up the bottom ¼ inch seam allowance and press it firmly down. (It is easier to turn the bottom fold before you sew the tree and the backing fabric together.)
Put the tree and the backing fabric right sides together and sew up one side, pivot at the point, and sew back down the other side. Do not sew across the bottom of the tree because you need an opening to turn the ornament right side out.

Clip the corners and narrow the seam near the top point. Turn the ornament right side out. I used a knitting needle to try and poke the top point up. Iron the ornament flat. Sew across the bottom with a blind stitch. I used gold embroidery floss to make a hanging cord at the top.
These little patchwork tree ornaments are pretty darn small. I suggest you enlarge the pattern on your copier to make these easier to turn right side out.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Very clever - I've been waiting all afternoon to see how these came out.

2:39 PM  
Blogger BrendaLou said...

I love how you turn all things into paper-pieced patterns! Hope everything is turning out ok.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

These are adorable! I can't help but smile when I look at them. What a clever idea.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

As someone once said, "We can choose our friends but we can't choose our neighbors." Ours aren't the friendliest either and it makes me sad to think of all the years that go by with hardly more than a nod. When friends live side by side think of all the sharing and cheeriness emanating from that side of the neighborhood. I'd take some perssimmon bread that I made over to them but I burned it a bit... Maybe make enemies of them.

I want to try your ornaments!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is an absolutely adorable blog, I'm so glad you wrote to me so I could find this. Fun projects and photos... very neat!

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home