Friday, November 26, 2010

A moveable feast

If you set a table, they will come. We had a feast at my house Thanksgiving Day – a moveable feast.
Yesterday afternoon, Toni, my daughter-in-law, arrived at the back door with a cheesecake in her hands. Next came Spencer and Victor, my grandsons, carrying insulated containers. My son Davis carried in bags and covered casseroles.

I had been told to set the table for five and relax.

There was a flurry of activity in the kitchen. “Mom, do you have a small broiler pan?” “Can you find seven serving spoons and a big fork?” “Let’s get out those small glass bowls for soup.” “We need five salad plates.” Rolls were baked. Pots were stirred. Salad was tossed and plated. Dressing was heated. “Go get that cut glass bowl that Robert used to use for cranberry-orange relish.” Where is the blue gravy pitcher?” “We will need three wine glasses.”

In less than an hour we were sitting down for our salad course with a prayer of thanksgiving.
The salad had squares of goat cheese coated with toasted almonds and pomegranate jewels.

Salad was followed by delicious creamed cauliflower soup topped with garlic croutons and apple chips. Those bowls were whisked away and then hot gravy, beautiful dressing, fresh green beans, twice-baked mashed potatoes with sour cream, rolls, cranberry relish, and sweet potatoes were brought to the table. Davis carried in the beautiful, succulent turkey.

It was a wonderful meal. We had cheesecake and pumpkin pie for dessert. Three hours later, the dishwasher was loaded and the refrigerator was full of leftovers. I hand-washed the plates and other fragile pieces and put them away. The table was cleared.

I am so thankful.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Del said...

What a great dinner! You certainly did well raising your boys. And Davis married the right girl, huh! I'm so glad they and those two tall grandboys were there for you on this Thanksgiving.

I hope your AT&T guy shows up on Monday. When Mary only had dialup in San Juan Bautista I thought I would go berserk trying to get anything posted.

9:33 PM  
Blogger sophie said...

What a lovely Thanksgiving meal.

9:10 AM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

A wonderful thanksgiving feast - and a fabulous family. I'm happy for you.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

This post made me so happy and full of warmth. What a wonderful family.

Blessings.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

Wow. It all sounds delicious, especially the salad.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Meggie said...

What a wonderful feast it all was!
Lovely that you had such a wonderful day.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home