Monday, February 28, 2011

I’ve been hibernating

It’s been so cold around here. The insulation under the house has not been replaced yet and the floors are very cold. The house warms up on sunny days, but not on cloudy days. Those days I go back to bed and burrow under the covers until the heater gets going.

I am as hungry as a bear so I keep on experimenting with new recipes. This week I enjoyed a salmon filet.


Simple sweet salmon

I’d never cooked a salmon filet before. I looked up possibilities on the internet and sorted though several recipes to come up with an idea to make this simple dish with ingredients I had on hand.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

1 Salmon filet
½ half lemon
1 Tablespoon brown sugar, packed
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
Fresh ground pepper to taste

Cut one thin slice off the half lemon and set it aside. Squeeze the juice from the remaining lemon into the bottom of a baking dish. Add a Tablespoon of brown sugar to the lemon juice. Stir to mix.

Put the filet in the baking dish on top of the sugar mix. Drizzle with melted butter. Grind a little fresh pepper over the filet.

Bake uncovered for 12 minutes.

Turn the filet over and put the lemon slice on top of it. Bake 7 minutes longer (or until filet flakes with a fork).
Pour the juices from the baking dish over a side dish of rice. Delicious.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

That looks delicious - just the thing for a hungry bear.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

Mouth-watering!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Del said...

Makes me hungry - and it looks like something to be found on my own table. Your recipe sounds great, I'll give it a try.
No choice but to hibernate it has been so cold. I know others think that 34 is not a terribly low temp, but SCalifornians have thin blood from living in the perfect climate most of the year. Hope your insulation is installed soon.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Meggie said...

That sounds a perfect meal to me! I love Salmon, and often cook it in a little lime juice with honey as a sweeter, and I use a little wholegrain mustard, rather than pepper. We all like it.
I am never sure which is worse~ humid hot, or freezing cold!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Enough hibernating, awready!!!!

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home