Sunday, April 03, 2011

Well, that was fun, but . . .

Simplify, simplify, simplify is the thing to do. The hearts table top is pieced, but as I was sewing the last few rows I was struck by a thought. “This is so tricky dealing with all these bias edges.” I asked myself why I had designed parallelograms with 51.36 degree angles. Did it make the piece look any better? Would straight rectangles look just about the same? I almost didn’t finish sewing. I sketched a simpler block with plain rectangles. Nerts. It looks just about the same. There is no need for bias edges. Oh no, here I go again on the fifth try. I have to make new templates, draw brand new diagrams, start sewing, and take more process photos. Frankly, I am pretty darn sick and tired of pink, red, and purple. I am sure everyone else is, too. I’ll get going tomorrow.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

You are brave and industrious to stick with this project for so long. Personally, I am not tired of those colors at all. LOL

7:06 AM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

I think this whole process is very interesting - as someone who never uses patterns and is too dyslexic to do paper piecing!!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not a quilter...I follow your blog because I love you...but I like the colors of your heart piece. I'm afraid though, my eyes would start rolling around in my head if I tried working with it.

9:31 AM  
Blogger sophie said...

Gerri's right, the process is the thing ... and maybe you had to keep working on this design idea, make the piece with the crazy angle in order to see the simpler solution.

Kudos to you for conquering the heart-shaped beast ;-)

9:53 AM  
Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

I thought of you when I saw this first photo: http://honeybeequiltstore.blogspot.com/2011/03/2011-blubonnet-patchwork-trail-shop-hop.html

11:14 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

I had to laugh when you said you were sick of pink, red and purple. You've been working on this quilt for quite awhile and I'm so pleased to see it sewed! Good for you!!!

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home