Thursday, July 21, 2011

People

To celebrate my car’s 160,000 mile-stone, I took it in to Pinky’s Classy Car Wash for a spa treatment.

 I felt better driving around after that. However, the next day when I went to get my hair cut just down the street the car refused to start after my appointment. Nothing. Nada. Not even a clicking sound. Luckily my haircutter’s son was coming by to get his hair cut so she told him to bring jumper cables. He did. When he jumped it, the car started right up. He checked the battery and other things but nothing seemed to be wrong. I figured the car wash and the high mileage might have been a shock to its system. I’ve been driving around with no problems since that incident.


This week the new redwood stairs and walkway got a protective coating, and the railings and trellis were painted white.

 Our little lane got a new sign. The old homemade sign which was on a 4 x 4 redwood post was knocked down by a careless driver. The county doesn’t provide street name signs for privately maintained streets. I looked on the internet and found a few places that make street signs. I found a reasonable price. My neighbors, Mary and Sandra, split the cost with me. Sandra had a bag of cement and a post hole digger but none of us wanted to do the work. A fellow working for the landlord next door said he would put up the sign as his boss’s contribution.
 Steve dug the hole and mixed the cement and put up the pole. He had a hex wrench in his tool kit so he was able to put in the mysterious screws that hold the sign on the mounting post. Good job.

I received a notice this week with the headline, “Wow – what a ride!”

It was my invitation to Bev Lombardo’s memorial celebration of life to be held this Saturday at St. Alban's. I loved the picture and the sentiment. Bev was my sponsor when I took a beginner’s class at the Episcopal Church two years ago. She was also a quilter. Bev was 75 years old and I believe the photo was a recent one.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Collagemama said...

Wow is right! Glad your car is okay. The grime is all that holds mine together, so I don't dare wash it.

4:43 AM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Poor Ol' car - got a shock with all the fancy treatment - glad it got over its trauma. LOL Lovely memorial to a friend.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

My car will hit 170,000 miles this month. Due to your example, it is expecting a luxurious car wash at that milestone.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Del said...

Your friend Bev was a trooper - great "in-flight" image.
Isn't it a thrill to have workpersons who are pleasant, helpful, do the job and make you feel they are worth their wages and more. Stairs and sign look lovely.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Meggie said...

What a very interesting post, Christine. Thanks for sharing. XX

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home