Monday, February 27, 2012

A new spin

 My head has been spinning lately and I think I’ve come up with a plan. In the early 1970s I was a yarn spinner and Robert and I published a little booklet called Spinning with a Drop Spindle. It was the beginning of our fiber arts press, Thresh Publications. We expanded and published books by other fiber artists. Here is a link to one of them.
Used copies of our little Spinning with a Drop Spindle are still selling today on Amazon. Some of the copies go for pretty high prices. I am surprised.

 I decided I could reprint the booklet and sell it myself. I’ve been very busy. I re-typeset the text and pulled out all the illustrations and cleaned them up. I assigned the reprint a new ISBN number. I put the book together in Microsoft Publisher and ran off a dummy copy yesterday. I began looking around for some cover paper stock but I can’t find the old curry color we used for the original booklet. We printed thousands and thousands of them. I've got some new swatches.
 I can’t quite decide what color the new reprint should be.

I went searching for an old photo of me spinning on our porch in Santa Rosa. That involved digging through the hundreds of photos I have stashed away. A dear kind person gave me a gift box for ScanCafe last year and I had put off gathering photos to fill the box. I was on a roll and I finally sorted out a lot of old photos to send off for scanning.

 I learned something that everyone needs to know. If you have any of your pictures in those albums with striped wax strips to hold them in place, pull them out NOW. Those albums ruin photographs. Here are some photos that would not peel off the waxy backing – they tore and are ruined. I’m sick about it.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Collagemama said...

Love your photo, and think you have a great idea with your book. Also, thanks for the reminder about those old photo albums. Have to put that on my to-do list.

4:39 AM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

What a fabulous photo! And, what a great idea - to republish the book. Good for you. I, too have had problems with those precious photos on the self-sticking pages - really sad.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

I passed the republishing info on to a Texas textile artist. How are you redoing those old photo albums? This is going to be a major effort, and most formats are temporary.

4:18 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Have you looked into publishing with Amazon.com? It is 25.00 per book and nothing after that. Go to the bottom of the page at Amazon.com - find Publish with Us (Create Space) - they walk you through step by step - you can design you cover or use one of their templates and edit it - and then it goes up for sale on Amazon and other places - and you can order prints for yourself (at a very reasonable rate) or to sell locally or on etsy - or where ever you'd like to. I've used Create Space twice and love it - working on a family history book now.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Christine. Don and I loved the photo of you and Davis on the porch! Brought back some great memories.

Please let us know when the book is out. I still have my copy and have donated a couple to guild libraries as well. Spindling is coming around again, as you probably know.

11:13 AM  
Blogger janice pd said...

I would also love to know when your republished book is done. Ron and i just started spinning and weaving again but have not drop spindled. We acquired one along with a temple we bought on Ebay.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Margaret Cooter said...

Thanks for the heads-up on the torn photos - my family has a lot of those albums!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Kats Studio said...

Congrats on republishing your book. I'm sure it will be worth the effort.

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home