Tuesday, September 15, 2009

It was a dark and stormy night

We rarely get rain around here in the summer so it was strange to have thunder and lightning a couple of days ago.

One of my favorite quilt patterns is Streak of Lightning. I have an old family quilt top from 1885 in this design. If you click on the picture below it will take you to a closer view of some individual blocks and a bit of information.

I made one single lightning streak block to celebrate the storm and the freshness after the rain.

You can click on the small graphic below to go to full size foundations and instructions for making a 4-inch paper pieced Lightning Streak block. You can print the page out for your own personal use.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger jpsam said...

I heard the thunder but didn't see the lightening. Wonderful old indigo quilt. Thanks for sharing it. I'm hoping you are ruminating about a 4" book block. joan

9:00 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What a lovely old quilt top. We have a quilt of the same vintage made by Don's great aunts. It is wonderful to have something from family, as there were no other quilters in either family since that time. I reproduced the quilt in Civil War Reproduction fabrics - came pretty close too.

9:58 PM  
Blogger sophie said...

I love your indigo top . . . and our streak-o-lightning block. I remember how rare and beautiful lightning is in California. How wonderful to celebrate it with one of your great little quilt blocks!

3:31 AM  
Blogger Mego said...

I love your antique quilt. What beautiful colors that quilter picked!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

I would have to include a tree in the lightning block....

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home