Thursday, September 10, 2009

A basket of apples

Our friend Russell brought us a big basket of apples he picked from his tree. There were a lot of apples for two people so we gave a few away to Mary Mac down the lane. Robert has been making all sorts of apple treats – applesauce, baked apples, and best of all: apple muffins.


I loved them hot out of the oven with scrambled eggs for breakfast. They were good later in the day, too.

I persuaded Robert to give me his recipe for 1 dozen Apple-Raisin-Cornmeal-Maple muffins.

1 cup flour
½ cup cornmeal
¾ cup milk
1 large egg
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup raisins
1 medium apple, peeled and cored. Chop into small pieces.
¾ cup of sugar
Pinch of ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon maple syrup

Grease muffin tins
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Put flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon in a bowl. Whisk together until even in color.
Warm milk and butter to a moderate temp.
Stir egg into milk butter and add syrup
Stir apples and raisins into flour mix.
Make a well in center and pour liquid in well.
Gently mix ingredients together until moistened -- do not beat.
Fill baking cups evenly.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes until nicely browned.

In honor of the occasion I made a block using the same foundation I used in July.

If you would like to make some 4-inch paper pieced muffin blocks, click on the small graphic below to find a full size template for you to print out for your personal use.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

I will have to try this recipe since I've been on a muffin baking spree lately. I have lemon blueberry, almond blueberry and triple choc chunk multi-grain under my belt. I have to admint the choc one was a mix and turned out HEAAAAVY. Paperweights. But dunking them in coffee or tea helps them slip down. *smile*

9:22 AM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Oooooooooh apples in the fall - what could be better? I have some Gravensteins - we get them at a farm stand every fall and they aren't around for long - they sure make good pies. Now if I could just find some Winesap apples.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Meggie said...

Goodness me, how come you are so slim & tiny, when you have such a fabulous cook at your fingertips!!

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home