Friday, October 09, 2009

Let's get to work

There are nurses in our family.

The first one I know about was my grandmother Mabel Tracy. She graduated from nursing school in 1903. Robert’s aunt, Peg, was a nurse in the early 1960s and worked in Herrick’s emergency room in Berkeley. Peg went on to become a flying nurse in Alaska. Peg met Patsy at Herrick and we all adopted Patsy as an honorary cousin way back then. Peg’s daughter Lucy followed her mother’s footsteps and became a registered nurse, too. Catherine is our second cousin and she graduated from nursing school a few years ago.

I’m paying tribute to all the amazing nurses I know by doing a Nurse Shoe block-of-the-day.

If you would like to make a 4-inch paper pieced working shoe to honor some hardworking friend, click on the small graphic below. You will find foundations to print out for your own personal use.
Another person I see regularly is Wayne the UPS driver. He wears shorts all year round with beige socks, and he brings fabric and other goodies to my house. He is on his feet all day. So, here’s a 4-inch block for Wayne and other busy people.

Wayne’s shoe block is just the reverse of the nurse shoe. Click on the graphic below and it will take you to foundations to print out for a right-facing work shoe.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Dolores said...

Hi there, this one could be a librarian's shoe too. Comfy.

5:30 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Nice shoes - again - such creativity. I am trying to design a quilt - we are in a challenge to make a round robin (but we do the entire quilt ourselves, with new instructions each month) using a christmas carol as the theme. I've picked my song - now I need to design the center block - I need inspiration and clever ideas.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

I figure if you want to take up a medical career, be a nurse! They do the actual caring for people, and don't have to pay malpractice insurance! [or do they?]

11:03 AM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

I like the UPS shoe block. We have a very tall, skinny mail carrier at our school. He would need three blocks of skinny legs between the shoe block and the shorts block.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Meggie said...

Comfortable shoes are so important for nurses!

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home