Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bounty

1. Something that is given generously. 2. Liberality in giving: generosity. 3. Yield, especially of a crop.
 My neighbor and friend, Mary, has a booth at several farmers’ markets. She sells her family’s products from McCauley Brothers’ Olive Groves. At the end of the day vendors pack up to go home. Many of the farmers have produce that is at the peak of perfection and will not last another day. Exchanges and gifts are given rather than throw produce away. Mary brings some vegetables and fruits home but she can’t eat all that is offered. Lucky me – Mary calls on her cell phone when she is nearing home and asks me to meet her at the end of my driveway.

I’m going to enjoy an ear of Brentwood White Sweet Corn for dinner tonight, along with a salad of heirloom tomatoes.

Last week Mary brought me a basket of strawberries.

They smelled wonderful but I couldn’t eat a whole basket so I made a small batch of refrigerator strawberry jam. Now I can enjoy the berries for two weeks when I spread the jam on my morning toast.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Gerrie said...

Love this time of year. Yum!!

5:51 PM  
Blogger BrendaLou said...

I love the sharing of the bounty. I have two heirloom tomatoes, a dozen fresh eggs, three beets, two cucumbers and a large zuchini from three friends this past weekend. I shared loaves of banana bread I made from a bag of old bananas someone else gave me.....enjoy.

10:01 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

There is nothing like the taste of a home grown freshly ripened tomato - and pair it with some fresh corn on the cob and you have my favorite (and frequent) summer dinner. Nothing fancy - just sliced tomatoes and hot corn - ahhh summer!

10:05 AM  
Blogger black bear cabin said...

what nice gifts...and that jam looks delicious! :)

6:40 PM  
Blogger Meggie said...

Yum! We have nice strawberries here at present, but I have to purchase mine. Your jam looks lovely.

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home