Saturday, July 18, 2009

A day to do something good

Nelson Mandela celebrated his 91st birthday today. In honor of the occasion South Africans have been celebrating the country's first Mandela Day. People have been marking the day by taking part in charity work and community activities. Mr. Mandela said, "Mandela Day will not be a holiday but a day devoted to service.”

The idea seems to have caught on around the world. Many people are celebrating Mandela’s birthday. Mark it on your calendars for next year – July 18 – and plan a service project. It will be held on the former president's birthday every year from now on.

I was impressed when I saw the South African flag. It was adopted in the year 1994. Today’s block is a paper pieced South Africa flag.
If you want to make a 4-inch paper pieced South Africa flag block, click on the small graphic below and you will find full-sized foundations to print out. Be sure and mark the colors on your foundations, it can get confusing.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Good idea - I've put the date on my calendar. Great block - I love the way the zebra print matches his shirt.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

Christine it has been so fun to see what you come up with every day! Thank You for adding a little more cheer to my day. [being a careGIVER to my mom, children, husband and grandchildren, on demand, can be tiring, so any cheer is welcome!]

9:17 AM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

Nelson Mandela--a true hero for all of us. How fitting that he has asked that "his" day be a day of service. I am pleased that Martin Luther King Day is now also being promoted as a day of service. I hate seeing holidays named for inspirational people become just another day off from work. They should be celebrated in the spirit of the honoree.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home